A basic clock that displays the current time accurately with a few buttons that trigger various events.
- Accurate time, to a few seconds. Ideally, updated from NTP daily/hourly
- Simple, easy to read from anywhere in the room but most importantly while in bed
- Small but not so small that it gets bumped and turned around during normal use
- Basic web api to control various features like brightness, time update frequency, button actions
- 2 buttons that allow custom actions either via hardcoded methods or via MQTT commands
Won't have features
- No alarm feature
- No sound
- No RTC/backup battery
- No manually setting of the clock
- Not date or day of week information
In rough order.
- Design basic enclosure, start to print prototypes
- Check 7-seg display will work as expected
- Choose and verify the microcontroller will work as expected with display
- Write code to update the clock on power on and every n minutes
- Write code to update features via webpage
- Check buttons will work as expected
- Write code to trigger events from buttons
March 2018 - Basic clock prototype is done, I'm currently testing and fixing any bugs I find. I'll post everything up soon.